Reduce your costs and increase your bottom line through improved resource efficiency.
How does it work?
In simple terms, we identify your business by-products, wastes and other under-utilised resources that are useful for others. These materials can be used by another organisation either in the same condition or reprocessed for a different use.
BASIS (Birmingham and Solihull Industrial Symbiosis Project) is a business initiative, but it also makes environmental sense. Waste costs money and new waste reduction methods provide economic and environmental benefits, while improving business growth.
What are the benefits?
- Improve business profits by reducing waste and disposal costs
- Reduce energy costs and increase the bottom line
- Identify potential funding partners and investment opportunities
- Achieve compliance, assist in obtaining environmental licenses
- Increase CSR ‘Corporate Social Responsibility’ and business reputation
- Verify carbon reduction and increase supply chain resilience
How can we help you?
We provide 12 hours of free consultancy services through our BASIS Resource Efficiency Project.
There are no charges to your company, as the project is fully supported by the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership (GBS LEP). An initial consultation will take place, to establish and identify all available resources within your organisation and record your current disposal, time management and energy costs.
Our aim is to use this information to target cost reduction and new revenue opportunities to support your journey into becoming a more resource efficient and cost effective business.
Examples of resources
- Packaging waste: Pallets, cardboard, paper, plastic, glass, drums and IBCs
- Process waste: Sludge, metals, chemicals, oil, food waste, filter cakes, process off-cuts and spillages
- Energy and water waste: Electricity and gas consumption, use of renewable technologies, condensate, steam, water to drain and water to river
- Redundant equipment: Electrical and process equipment, warehouse space and empty vehicle movements, old PCs and office furniture
- Expertise: Consultancy, knowledge, skills and training
Our free resource efficiency workshops
Our unique “resource matching” events aim to enable businesses to identify new opportunities between delegates through the matching of one company’s waste to the required process input of another. Through BASIS, companies can achieve substantial cost savings and generate sales from new markets.
Are you eligible?
Your business must meet the definition of a Small to Medium Enterprise (SME) and be located within the Greater Birmingham and Solihull area, including the surrounding areas of Lichfield, Tamworth Burton on Trent, Uttoxeter, Cannock, Bromsgrove, Redditch and Wyre Forest.
Is my business an SME?
- Employ fewer than 250 full time equivalent persons
- Have an annual turnover not exceeding £50 million or have an annual balance sheet total not exceeding £43 million